Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity, #1)

Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity, #1) - Josh Lanyon I know, I know...a 3 for Josh Lanyon? The terrible part is that if it had been anyone else's book, I probably would have viewed it differently, but Josh sets the bar high and I have, perhaps, unrealistic expectations because of it.

It would be wonderful to review this book and the subsequent Holmes and Moriarity together, as a single entity, which also would change the rating for me. I did read them back to back, and taken together, Kit and J. X.'s story gains irresistible pull.

But this one first. By itself. Lanyon characters are flawed, his heroes often exceptionally flawed, which I need in a hero, but they always have redeeming qualities. They're determined or have some noble qualities that render them sympathetic. I struggled to find any noble qualities in Kit, at least in this first book. Yes, he's had a rough time. Yes, he's wounded from the sordid and horrid end to his marriage. But he comes across as self-absorbed, catty, whiny and vain.

The whole book has a rather catty quality to it, and while I'm ashamed to admit that I share many of Kit's views on the chicklets (those women whose lives seem to revolve around shoes and shopping and trying to live out Sex in the City fantasies - God, I hate that show) there's a certain mean-spiritedness to many of his asides, an unwillingness to take people as individuals. I don't mind a bit of snark, but it seemed unrelieved.

J.X. comes across rather better, of course, but he's not our narrator, so we only see him from his attractive outside.

The mystery itself, I'm afraid, was not my favorite either. While I didn't have all the details ironed out before the end, I knew who the murderer was long before the reveal.

However - this is still an exceptionally well-written story with an interesting cast and some tangled personal histories. What was well done here is the re-introduction of Kit and J.X. to each other and the careful, testosterone-laced dance they do around each other, desire mixed up with emotional tar pits.

On its own, not my favorite of Josh's so far. As a set up for what comes next? Absolutely vital.